Tuesday, January 22, 2008

So, So Cold!

I don't know if people outside of Rexburg, Idaho really know how cold it gets here. I woke up this morning, ate my breakfast, took my shower, then decided to go warm up the car...and it's a darn good thing I did. As soon as I stepped outside I felt the air get sucked out of my lungs. This is what occurs when it is so cold and dry it's hard to inhale enough oxygen to sustain yourself. After 10 seconds of being outside I could tell this was a temperature I had not experienced before.

After finally prying the frozen car door open, I got in and made a horrible attempt to start the car. It took 10 minutes just to get the darn thing started and another five or so, holding down the gas pedal, to keep it alive. If I let completely off the pedal then the car would die and I would be back to square one. By this time, I swore I had been outside for 15 to 20 minutes and I could barely feel my hands and feet. I decided to head in without scrapping the windows for worry of losing a finger or toe.

Once safely inside and beginning to feel the blood warm up in my extremities I got on my computer and saw the temperature was 20 below zero. I was shocked! I found out later that all the surrounding area schools had been canceled because it was too cold, of course BUY-Idaho was still in session. I guess they realize we have already reached our educational pinnacle so if one of our student body wasted away to hypothermia or blood freezing within the vessels it wouldn't be that big of a loss.

I'm pretty sure when it's that cold even the icicles are screaming for a warm coat.

2 comments:

M said...

Seriously? 20 BELOW zero? I can not even comprehend that temperature. We've been belly-aching about 32 degree weather here. And G and I were just saying yesterday that we felt bad for those people in the midwest who were below zero. I didn't realize it got that cold in Idaho too... I bet you're getting excited to come home (for good) in a few months!

Myndi said...

It hasn't gotten that cold here, but it has come close (I think it was -15 New Years when we were up Ogden Canyon, near Powder Mountain). RIDICULOUS and I HATE IT! They didn't even cancel school here a couple of weeks ago when it snowed two feet. Oregonians sniff the possibility of snow and school is canceled for a week.