Sunday, July 19, 2009

Major Dilemma...Need Your Help!

There is a current situation that I need some serious help with. I hope all our readers will comment and give me some advice.

First, I need to take a minute and explain where I'm coming from. I am, and always have been, a major animal lover. I love their company and unconditional love. I find the suffering of animals to be so sad and cannot bear it. You could say animals have a large soft spot in my heart. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. A few years back I was watching a horse race on TV and one of the horses broke it's leg during the race and there would have been no way to save the leg so they put the horse down to relieve it's suffering. It broke my heart and I had to turn the TV off.

Now the current issue. A cat showed up on our back porch a few weeks back and she looked starving. I gave her some milk and turkey in hopes to give her a little sustenance. To make a long story short, she has showed up every night since and is now starting to come during the day as well. To make my anxiety worse, she is unmistakeably pregnant. Now I'm taking care of two pregnant women! Since she's been coming I have noticed her fattening up a little and her coat of fur looks much better. She was first super skittish, running away every time I opened the sliding door. Now, I'll sit outside and she allows me to pet her. She's adorable and I wish I could keep her but our apartment has a 'no pet' policy. T thinks we should call the Humane Society. I think we should keep feeding her and hope she has the litter outside our apartment, then we'll move to another apartment and keep her and her babies.

My anxiety is getting worse by the day as I see her getting further along in her pregnancy.

What should I do?

Here's some cute pictures of her to help you devise your advice.




10 comments:

M said...

Give her to mom.

Nicole W. said...

Oh boy, this is a tough one. Tahsha, don't hate me!
I am like you Jordan...I have a MAJOR soft spot for animals...especially cats. I cannot watch, read or even HEAR about anything involving hurting animals or I break into tears and feel emotionally torn inside..it's painful I hate it.
Anyway....I see your position. one thing..is you live in a down stairs apt. not to encourage dishonesty but no one is going to know she is coming and that you are feeding her so I wouldn't worry about that right now. Even if you brought her inside once in a while, no one would know. I don't think taking in an entire litter of kittens is a good idea with a new baby on the way. if You DID decide to keep her, I'd give the kittens away at 6wks or whatever is the appropriate age (find good homes) and just keep the mama. BUT...having to MOVE for a cat? not sure that's a good idea either....especially since you'll have trouble finding as good a location and price in this area.

So...IDEA:
what about keeping an eye on her tilthe babies arrive and then seeking out a home for her. You could check out some families in the ward or put a post on craigslist....that is what I would do. I know you love her but it might just not be feasable at this time in your life to keep a cat. I'd start looking for a GREAT family to adopt her. then you'll KNOW where she is and you'll KNOW she's in a good home and not worry about what the humane society did with her or where she ended up.
give her a hug for me, she is ADORABLE!!!

MotherBeck said...

I think Nicole's idea is really good. Be careful about bringing her in though...like no cat box...and if you do bring her in DON"T let Tahsha change it while she's pregnant...there is something about cat poop that can harm the fetus. If she has the kittens soon, Craigslist is a great idea! They will be adopted really fast....I may even want one. Good luck!!

Nicole W. said...

OH that is true- I forgot about that.
cat poop is actually even dangerous to teenage girls and their reproductive system..we were never allowed to change the litter box growing up. Be careful about that, that is serious stuff. Tahsha should be no where near it.

J said...

Ok, take it easy. We live in a one bedroom apartment. I'm not about to let the cat do her business in the house; it would wreak. Therefore, there will be no cat box/cat litter so no one needs to worry about T.

Myndi said...

Ditto--to M. I LOL'd for about five minutes after reading that comment.

R said...

Feed her if you want but keep her outside - she's a feral cat. And expect more litters in the future. Lastly, nix the M suggestion - do not send her to mom! Not LOLing here.

Ali Holt said...

i think you should keep her! :) I love cats! just be careful about the litter! we are so excited for you guys by the way... i hope we arent too far behind you guys. I guess when the big guy upstairs lets us have one, we will be! keep in touch!

Andrew and Shandee said...

Well I am more like Tahsha and don't have the same love for animals that you do, so I am kind of biased. Since she is having kittens, that is a different story. You can't just let them all starve. You are a smart guy J. I am laughing right now picturing you keeping them and the look on T's face. Ha ha. Miss you guys so much.

Ralina said...

Ohhhh. That is a really cute cat.