Saturday, November 6, 2010

Crater Lake

Back in September we went to Crater Lake. Crater Lake is 5 miles wide and 1,943 feet deep. It is the deepest lake in the U.S. and one of the deepest in the world. The lake rests in the shattered remnants of a volcano called Mount Mazama which erupted and collapsed into itself 7,700 years ago.

J had a two week break from school the end of September so I decided to take a couple days off of work so that we could take a trip to Crater Lake. It was absolutely beautiful and I recommend making the trip if you live anywhere in the Portland area. It was definitely worth the 4 hour drive. We spent all day there, then stayed at a hotel in Medford and headed back the next morning. We did a few hikes while at Crater Lake. One of the hikes took us to the shoreline. It was a relatively hard hike. If you notice in most of the pictures I am holding Camo in the backpack. Don't worry, it wasn't because J was being a wimp. I really wanted to get a great workout in that day so I told him I would carry Camo on all the hikes. J didn't argue with me on that one. It was quite funny all the stares we were getting from people thinking to themselves why is he making her carry the baby. Camo was so comfortable that he even fell asleep. You will notice that in one of the pictures I post. When we got to the shoreline we noticed people jumping off some of the rocks into the water. I was shocked at how clear the water was and how far deep you could see into the water. The water was really cold, but it was so hot outside that I bet it felt nice for those jumping in. Here are a few pictures from the day.

1 comment:

Steve Wagner said...

Nice pictures. I'm not jealous or anything.